The traffic system Proteus from Swiss radio and television SRF is a success story. For more than 10 years the detailed program planning for the channels SRF1, SRFzwei and SRFinfo has taken place with the help of this tool.
Proteus was conceived and implemented by SCS between 1998 and 2002. Up to that point the various editorial teams at SRF were working with various different methods for the preparation of their programs for broadcast.
With Proteus a system should be created which supports the editorial team with their jobs while at the same time leading to more efficient cooperative work through the introduction of uniform work processes.
In a concept phase the functionality of the system would be identified with the assistance of 30 members of the editorial team and would then subsequently be realized by SCS.
This includes amongst other aspects:
- The administration and management of
- Submissions from magazines such as Kassensturz, Aeschbacher, Einstein etc.
- Information concerning participating presenters, guests, actors, directors and many others
- Purchasing agreements for films and series.
- Licenses for the broadcast of foreign productions, as well as additional rights holders for their own productions
- Export of descriptions and photos for publication on the SRF website, in the program magazines and in teletext / EPG.
After 10 operational years Proteus has over 700 active users and administers over 300`00 programs with the associated metadata. The user requirements have also changed over the years and Proteus has thus taken over the following tasks:
- Communication with the SRF automation system.
- Checking the planning for the adherence to diverse regulations (age rating, advertising lengths).
- Preparation of information concerning web-cockpits for easy access.
- Requirements analysis in conjunction with the SRF employees
- Realization of the client specific traffic system Proteus
- 3rd Level support and further development