Today’s ubiquitous networked devices are increasingly becoming the Internet of Things (IoT). However, to make your solution a success, it is not enough to equip your device with Linux and connect it to the Internet. Important aspects that are often overlooked are:
- Data communication and its availability and bandwidth
- Monitoring of the distributed system
- Automated deployment of software updates and security fixes
- Maintenance ease
- Information security and privacy
- Management of master data records and configuration
In the future, IoT devices will become more and more autonomous. As a swarm, they will jointly solve problems whose complexity could not be overcome by a single device (competence optimal control). This may also mean that devices can enter into contracts with each other and pay each other for services (see Blockchain).
Also becoming increasingly important is “Trusted Computing”, ie the provability that a counterparty runs on identifiable original hardware and software and no parasitic programs such as trojans are running.
SCS has developed distributed systems in various projects and has been operating them for a long time. Wherever possible, proven open source solutions are used.
Internet of Things – Blog Postings
- AI at the Edge: How artificial intelligence moves from cloud to device(Unfortunately, this presentation is currently only available in German.) In naher Zukunft wird KI zu unserem Alltag gehören. So werden selbstoptimierende Maschinen, Spracherkennung sowie diagnostizierende Medizingeräte uns täglich unterstützen. Die zugrunde liegenden Algorithmen sind extrem leistungsfähig aber auch leistungshungrig. Was steckt wirklich hinter der KI? Wie kann diese «at the edge», also eingebettet im Endgerät laufen, ...
- Blockchain technology for industry 4.0 applicationsIndustrial applications require an increasing degree of trust and privacy protection. Proof of existence, of origination or of a consistent track record gain importance. Trusting the timestamps and the integrity of sensor data can be a crucial requirement, i.e. for using surveillance camera footage as evidence in court. SCS has set up an infrastructure that proves ...
- Smart Grid Solutions AG: GridBox Technology is now being commercializedAfter a highly successful research- and demonstration project, the GridBox Technology is now being commercialized within the scope of a spin-off project. The company smart grid solutions AG (website), led by Martin von Euw, will take the technology to market maturity. Supercomputing Systems AG is the technology partner of the new company. Concerning this matter, read ...
- GridBox: Project campaigns successfully fulfilledIn collaboration with BKW, ewz and Bacher Energie AG, as well as co-financed by the Federal Office of Energy (FOE), SCS AG has successfully fulfilled the GridBox measurement and demonstration campaigns by March 2016. The GridBox project demonstrated a real-world instance of a full featured smart grid concept. Two distribution grid regions were equipped with ...