«In short, biotechnology is the application of technology to biology and vice-versa.»
Typical Branches of Biotechnology
- Microbiology, Molecular biology, Biophysics
- Genetics, Immunology, Neuroscience
- Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical chemistry
- Bioprocess engineering, Screening, Bioinformatics
- Microscopy and spectroscopy
- Micro- and nanotechnology
- Aerosol research
- Criminological applications
SCS possesses the necessary interdisciplinary
competences to develop hardware and software for
biotechnological applications (see examples in blog)
- Innovation workshops: microscopy & spectroscopy
- Analysis of customer needs, system design, choice of technology
- Development of electronics: FPGA, GPU, Microcontrollers, PCB
- Optoelectronic development: laser, APDs, EOCB, MOEMS
- Software development: C/C++/C#, Java, ObjC
- Signal and image processing, algorithm development
For thousands of years, we humans have been using biotechnology, for example, for the production of food (bread, cheese, wine, beer), textiles (tanning of leather), and commodities. One of the first products of modern biotechnology was the synthetic version of insulin in 1978. Since that success, not only has the number of new medicines grown exponentially, at the same time innumerable new biotechnological methods and techniques have established themselves in various areas of use. Modern biotechnology combines research results from microbiology, biochemistry, gene technology, molecular biology and bioinformatics, and it consistently employs process and laboratory technology, micro- and nanotechnology, as well as computer-aided communications and IT systems.
Biotechnology & Physics – Blog Postings
- Cost Efficient Individual Blood Analysis Thanks to Industry 4.0 ConceptsThe German company GLP Systems Ltd., based in Hamburg, is an innovative specialist in the area of information and automation systems for clinical laboratories. GLP Systems has revolutionized the sample transfer using a new approach: Similar to a Carrera race track, the sample vessels are individually moved through the laboratories and cold-storage rooms in intelligent ...
- Clinical Patient Treatment At The PSI InstituteCompared to regular radiation therapy with X-rays, the proton therapy allows an even more precise localisation of the dose and therefore a high therapeutical efficiency with fewer side effects. Thus, it is highly significant when treating tumors that are located closely to important organs, for instance in the area of the head. In November 2013, the ...
- Weather Forecast from the Graphics CardGraphic Processors (GPUs) offer better performance at lower costs and energy demand compared to regular processors (CPUs). A consortium linked to the Swiss National Supercomputing Centere (CSCS) in Lugano, the Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology MeteoSwiss, the Centre for Climate Systems Modelling (C2SM) of the ETH Zurich as well as other partners has established ...